11.02.2014

Flower Power: An Edible Flower as Medicine







Are you spellbound yet?


Nasturtium is the very definition of piquant:  
ˈpēkənt,ˈpēkänt/
adjective
 1.  having a pleasantly sharp taste or appetizing flavor.
 2. pleasantly stimulating or exciting to the mind.


Gotta love that, right?  right.



Why hello there.




This gorgeous flower is one of those I grew up with as a child; one of my favorite Aunts grew Nasturtium and they remind me of her and the wondrous time spent at her house.  I get extra delight now seeing that it also makes the hummingbirds and honey bees happy in my garden.  They both visit the flowers regularly.

An unusual site in November; an opportunity within the crisis of global warming.


We are having a late frost here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, but it's expected tonight so I am harvesting the Nasturtium flowers before they get blasted by the cold.  Being a native to South America; they cannot tolerate frost, but they will grow all summer long gracing us with their presence - and their food and medicine.  Both the flowers and leaves are edible; both give a spiciness to the dishes they accompany.

Sunshine captured in a basket.

They are also anti-bacterial and can be used medicinally.  I have read of them being used for colds, flu, urinary tract infections, etc.  I am going to tincture them to experiment with this use...  I will do a vinegar tincture so it may easily be used in cooking and on salads.




To do this I will cover the flowers with vinegar in a jar, making sure all the flowers are submerged.  Next I will wait 2-4 weeks, shaking the jar daily, and then strain for use.  It can be used for cooking or taken by the teaspoonful as needed - or as wanted for its flavor!


I used wax paper under the jar lid so the vinegar doesn't react with it.


Update:  4 days later, I had to share with you this gorgeous color!

Oh, and no frost yet.
~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment